Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It was written on the wall...

Sitting in the bathroom of my high school, I was looking around in the stall and reading what was written, which inspired to write a blog about walls, physical and virtual. Yes, we all remember the graffiti written on the walls in our respective bathrooms.... varied from: 867-5309 <--- Call for a good time (extra points to those who caught that reference!) to things I cannot write on here but you know what I am talking about. In this specific stall it was written that Mary Jane is my home girl. Now, I know that Mary is my home girl (high five Mary!) but I don't know about Mary Jane... does she even attend that high school? No people, I am actually not that naive as this was followed underneath by Happy 4/20 everyone! But this is the lighter end of the conversations held on these stall walls. I will have to get the quote, but I recall last year I frequented one particular bathroom more often as it was always on my way between here and there. This was the love lost, betrayed, unrequited love stall. Oh the things these high school students lament upon, if only they thought so deep about their studies, but alas, weren't were all in a state of romantic insanity in high school?  


I digress. However, now in this world of cyber stuff and virtualness (how's about that new word Colbert?) we find different walls upon which to write.... enter Facebook. First, let me begin by playing off my previous post. On Monday, upon logging into my desktop computer at my high school a screen popped up forcing me to read the new Employee Acceptable Use Policy (regarding use of the internet at work) and Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct for my system, which basically said, "Remember... whatever you do is a reflection of this system so be cautious and presently aware about how you (and others) conduct yourself at all times in all situations because you never know who is watching!" Hi ya Big Brother!! It specifics that, "This policy applies at all times and locations where the employee’s conduct might reflect poorly on the school, the school system, the employee’s status as a role model for students, or to the extent otherwise permitted by law." Well hell, as my grandmother would say. So this brings me back to my blog and how no matter what I write I must be ever so vigilant about what I write, who might read, and how it might be used against me in some way ending in my termination. Enter my cousin. On my Top News Thread on Facebook, I found the following post by a this family member (mind I even give pause before reposting this given what I just typed": "im breaking up with you via wallpost. doesn't get much worse than that. CUNT." Now, I have found out that this is a personal inside joke, if you will, between my cousin and one of her friends. Ok, fine, but did you EVER give thought to posting something like that on a public forum bright child? More than likely not given that they are a freshman in college. I mean did you think about the future implications of your actions at that age? Ok, so maybe I am an outlier b/c I did and still do. But then again, bathroom walls were about as public as it got when I was growing up and if you were smart you didn't sign your name to your work. 

2 comments:

  1. We have to go through training on what we are and aren't allowed to post on facebook and other forums similar to it. People still screw it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 867-5309!!!! LOL - love it. I'm also appalled at the things my younger cousins (some still in High School) will post on Facebook. The language they use is atrocious, and I don't feel like I'm an 'Old Fogey' for saying it, but I guess they probably do feel that way about me. I also just wonder if they're thinking through what they say before they post it on such a public forum!

    ReplyDelete