Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Notes of a wanna be singer

On Thursdays I take voice lessons. I have been taking lessons for about a year now and due to flu/cold this year I was not able to perform at my first recital. Honestly, I wasn't upset. Yes, I put a lot of hard work into my pieces and I felt that I grew a lot from day one up to performance day. However, I wasn't upset at not performing because I wasn't invested in any of my pieces.  This go round I am! I am excited to perform for my next chance at a recital. I am singing Danny Boy which is such a beautiful Irish Air. It requires more control than my other pieces and I will be given a chance to sing at the end a cappella! I am challenged to sing Italian piece. The one I was going to perform I grew to like. It was airy, sweet, quite pretty. The one that my teacher chose for me this time feels more like a harsh German piece. I am hoping this one will grow on me. My final piece is very jazzy, showy, and just what you would expect from a Broadway piece complete with asides of dialogue. That one is going to be really fun!
    I decided to take voice lessons because I have loved to sing all my life; in the car, in the shower, around the house, in the backyard listening to my walkman trying to belt out one of Whitney Houston's first hits, you name it! Yeah I aimed high! I have performed on stage at multiple times in my life. I sang on stage for Pittsboro's bicentennial. I think I was 8-9. I was in a summer drama camp where we performed songs as well as put on plays. When I was a freshman I somehow found the courage to perform in the talent show. I sang "Part of Your World" from Disney's The Little Mermaid, a cappella and having never taken voice lessons before! How I survived that, I don't know considering how VERY sensitive I am about my voice. During my performance, the microphone went out and people who were sitting in the very back of the auditorium told me they could hear me clear as a bell. Thank goodness for friends or else that could have been a really bad night for me and had the potential to shut me up forever.
    So, I share this because it's probably not something many people know about me. I have dreamed of being a jazz singer in a smoky club with my name is lights on the marquis. Of course I have also dreamed of being a singer on Broadway as I love to dance as well. These childhood dreams may never come true and that will be ok, but it is fun taking the first steps.  However, if I am lucky enough to have children at some point I would trade those dreams for the chance to sing my children to sleep in the hopes that one day they may tell me that I have the most beautiful voice in the world. Don't think anything could ever top that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment